The House is Almost Done

We’ll be closing on the house on October 6th. I just got notification that the mortgage is complete too. We’re almost there. Here are some photos from last¬†Saturday (September 24):

img_0633
Some new landscaping, including a Bird of Paradise.

 

More buses, plants and a palm tree.
More bushes, plants and a palm tree.

 

A wider view of the front yard.
A wider view of the front yard.

 

Timer for the sprinkler system.
Timer for the sprinkler system.

 

Hot water heater is in!
Hot water heater is in!

 

Kitchen countertops are in!
Kitchen counter tops are in!

 

A closer look at the granite.
A closer look at the granite.

 

The kitchen sink in the island.
The kitchen sink in the island.

 

And the granite in the bathrooms.
And the granite in the bathrooms.

 

Carpeting in the Loft.
Carpeting in the Loft.

 

...and the front bedroom upstairs.
…and the front bedroom upstairs.

 

The master bath.
The master bath.

2010 L.A. Trip

I happened to stumble across my old Tumblr page today. Apparently, I created it around the time I went to L.A. in May 2010 for a short, 4-day trip. I was seriously considering moving out there, and Zeke (Eman) had set me up with a interview at the Ski Channel. The interview didn’t go so well, but I had an opportunity to see what L.A. was like and it was a large basis of why I went back out there again in December 2010.

Anyway, I pulled all of those Tumblr posts into this blog and deleted the Tumblr account. If you go back to around May 2010, you’ll see the posts.

Network Re-engineering Complete

Soon after I got this site back up, I decided to re-engineer the internals of the network at the studio. This, ultimately, took this site down again (along with others).

The biggest change was the refactoring of the hypervisors’ datastores. I have two hypervisors running VMware ESXi. Each hypervisor had a series of internal hard drives that stored all of the data (datastores). When I first implemented the hypervisors, I thought I was clever by having these disks internal, as I was using the OSes of the VMs to mirror across multiple physical disks for redundancy, as well as JBOD the disks for greater storage. The problem was that this wasn’t conducive to having the hypervisors redundant, only the hard disks. The only way to fix that was to get a NAS or SAN that supported iSCSI. So, l got an enclosure, populated it, and began the process of building new iSCSI targets. After moving the data off of all the internal HDDs onto the iSCSI targets, I was able to vMotion VMs¬†all onto one hypervisor, shut it down, and remove all of the internal drives. Then, I repeated those steps for the hypervisor. Ahh…